Second Chance Road

A traveler reached a fork in the road…weary and worn from life
With regrets imbedded deep within that cut just like a knife
Pausing and looking from left to right, she dropped her heavy load
As she saw a sign that faintly read "Welcome to Second Chance Road."

Gripped by remorse for the many choices that had led to nowhere fast
Shadowed by the mocking voices that kept bringing up her past
Barely able to walk upright from guilt and all its weight
Always haunted by the thought…"for me it's just too late."

"Second Chance Road"…she softly whispered…"I didn't think that it was true…
Cause all I've heard is second chances are not for the likes of you…
You've fallen down and failed too much…you're a loser all around,
So I have given up the effort…since I just get knocked back down"

"By words that hit with deadly aim and fingers that point with scorn
Judging me for what I've done and ignoring my soul that's torn
I've brought so much upon myself…I know this very well
But why must I get beaten down in the very place I fell?"

The traveler paused from her reflecting and gave a heavy sigh
"I guess I'd better move along, cause it's just too late to try."
But as she turned to lift her burden and continue on her way
She heard a voice so clear and strong calling "Child, you need to stay."

Jesus was standing near the sign and reaching out his hand
"I am here to walk with you and give you strength to stand.
A second chance is what you need and that I will supply…
But you have got to trust in me…to have the wings to fly."

"I know your name and all the times you've lost your way, that's true
But you are worth a second chance, and I gave my life for you…
I walked the road to Calvary's tree to break the chains of sin
And paved a road of second chances where you can start again."

And so the weary traveler set her baggage on the ground
So she could travel and not be labeled in the freedom she had found
Jesus met her where she was and exchanged her heavy load
For mercy always lightens us…when we walk the second chance road

Merissa Lee Kelley
September 30, 2014

John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment